Sunday, January 28, 2018

Just One More Minute, Pleeeaaase!

Principal pondering...
Talk about some intense fun!
This weekend, we spent time as a family at Great Wolf Lodge.  I have to admit, at first, I was upset with my husband when he told me he booked this stay-cation.  It seemed like an expensive option and one that wasn't really necessary.  Yes, it was expensive, but now I realize it was definitely necessary.  We checked out of technology and checked into quality time together.  We swam, danced, laughed, played, and spent time together.  When we arrived home this evening, we were all tired, but when we looked back over the pictures and videos we took to capture some of the special moments, we certainly had fun reliving those moments.

No matter what activity we were doing, Emerson would say the same thing as we tried to finish up or go do something different.  "Just one more minute mommy, pleeeaase!"  And of course she would get several more minutes to play mini golf.  Or she would beg for one more time on the water slide, and you would end up sneaking in about five more trips down the slide.  Today, she went all day without a nap, and managed to stay awake for a full day of water park fun, arcade time, an indoor little kids rope course, mini golf, and even a mommy and me pedicure.  It was no surprise that as soon as we pulled away from the lodge, she promptly fell fast asleep for the quick 30 minute drive home.

It could be because I am a little waterlogged, but I can't help but make a connection between Emerson's begging for one more minute and our students.  What if during math class or at the end of writer's workshop, our students were begging for just one more minute, pleeeeaase?!  Great Wolf Lodge has figured out how to keep everyone engaged and begging for more.  So how do we do that in school?  How do we recreate that enthusiasm and engagement in our classrooms?  What if everywhere our students looked, their eyes were wide, eager to jump into every activity or assignment?  How do we get kids to want to read one more page or create scenarios where students are pleading to solve one more math problem?  I think it's possible; we just need to share our out-of-the-box ideas with each other, we need to push each other to create classroom environments, lessons and learning experiences that keep kids wanting and begging for more.
Love this graphic that I found from a few years ago.  Some good questions to consider and help us create our own version of Great Wolf Lodge at school...

One way to create that feeling is to continue to make learning fun.  When our students are playing games and having fun, I have heard them beg teachers to give them more time.  So how about a chance to do that all day?  Global School Play Day is coming up in another week.  Let's have another day of learning through play on February 7th!
http://www.globalschoolplayday.com
I am glad that my husband planned this stay-cation weekend.  I definitely needed to hit the pause button.  In fact, just last week I wrote about my ongoing mental dilemma I struggle with everyday as a working mom.  Read that post here.  Don't forget to take time to hit the pause button every once in a while in your life too!

Currently reading:
I just finished listening to The Gift of Failure during my commute.  We have a few more book club chats coming up, but I couldn't stop listening to it!  I am looking forward to running a book club for parents with this book.  As soon as I finished listening to that book, I started a new book on Audible.  This is a book that I have a paperback copy of but just have not ever been able to read.  I started listening to Stephen King's memoir, called On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.  Love that he writes about writing!  I have only just started it, but already enjoy hearing about stories from his childhood.


Events this week:
Will we actually have a normal, full week this week?!
Wednesday - Grade 2 chorus practice @ 2:20
Friday - Elementary only half day, 12:15 dismissal, no lunch served

Great things I noticed last week:

  • I just love starting my day with a 3rd grade WIN group!  Especially one that is focused on reading perseverance, setting reading goals and recording book buzzes! 
  • These K students were practicing some counting strategies while solving some real world math problems...will they have enough napkins and plates for a party? 
  • These K students are learning about capacity using rice and different containers. 
  • MakerSpace is an exciting place to be!  These 4th graders were eager to teach each other how to use different weaving methods. 
  • What a great concert led by Mr. Wiesner!  Way to go 4th graders! 

Check it out:
Here's a post that a principal friend of mine wrote, definitely want to learn more about the "genius day" that they are planning: http://inspiredimpact22.blogspot.com/2018/01/creating-connections.html

Did anyone see the cover of the latest Heinemann catalog?!  Recognize that amazing K teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment