Sunday, January 7, 2018

When It Rains (through your ceiling), It Pours

Principal ponderings...
So I was working on some different kinds of posts, but then something happened to change my plans.  What happened?  Well, it started raining...in my kitchen...through the light fixture in the ceiling.  Actually it wasn't really like it was raining.  It was more like it was pouring, dumping a ton of water right in the middle of my kitchen.  This episode came after a day of dealing with a frozen pipe.  Yep, it was a fun weekend.  I said my one word was moment.  I definitely had a few moments...just not exactly the ones I was thinking of when I chose that word.

So I will save some of the other posts that I have begun to write, and I will share those at a later date.  Instead, for this week I am going to include some positive quotes and images...selfishly...I need some motivation to shift my mindset and "look on the bright side."

Here's a start at thinking positively...I have never really liked the light fixture in my kitchen, so now I can get a brand new one...along with a new ceiling!

If you or your students need some help looking on the bright side this week...these images and quotes are for you:





Currently reading:
I started listening to a new book on Audible this past week.  It's called Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone.  The author is Brene' Brown.  I have heard a lot about her and her writing and have been wanting to read her books for a while.  She is a research professor and has spent many years studying courage, vulnerability, shame and empathy.
I am also working on finishing a book so I can write a review of it for Principal Magazine.  It's called When Writer's Drive the Workshop: Honoring Young Voices and Bold Choices.  I'll let you know what I think of it!  
Emerson got some Elephant and Piggie books for her birthday, along with the stuffed animal characters.  We enjoyed reading There is a Bird on Your Head! the other night. 

Events this week:
Tuesday - School Council Meeting @ 8:00, Dr. Chesson visits FloRo from 9:30-11:30
Wednesday - Grade 4 chorus @ 2:20
Friday - Melissa and Liz at SLT meeting from 8:30-11:00

Great things I noticed last week:
We were only in school for two days last week but I did manage to get into most rooms to welcome students and staff back from the holiday break!

  • It was exciting to see our new water bottle fountain that was installed over the break.  Thank you to the PTA for purchasing this!  Very cool that we can keep track of how many plastic bottles we are saving. 
  • I thought it was a new student because this 2nd grader had a major haircut.  Turns out he had donated his hair.  And his big smile told me he was super proud of what he had done.  Way to to go! 
  • Clearly the temps outside have been a little frigid!  But Mrs. Miln and her students know how to stay warm and toasty in their classroom.  
Check it out:
Some great suggestions for embracing social emotional learning: https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/01/05/4-ways-to-get-skeptics-to-embrace.html?cmp=soc-tw-shr
This weather graphic is one that I definitely loved finding...

No comments:

Post a Comment