Monday, January 22, 2018

Have You Tried Discussion Mapping?

Principal ponderings...

This weekend, I was reading about writer's workshop, in particular, I was reading about the use of the "Author's Chair."  One point from my reading that stuck with me was the thought that as you are having students share their writing in the author's chair, we can be using different methods to document what is shared and reflect on what the students are actually teaching us during that time.  When students share their writing, the purpose should not be just to share their writing.  We can use that time as another way to assess the writer and the student audience members.  In the book, When Writers Drive the Workshop, I like that the author, Brian Kissel, shared one way that he documents the important discussions happening during share time.  He included a picture called an audience response map.  Here's the picture included in the book:

When I came across this visual and read over the section that talked about documenting student responses this way, it made me think of a great session I attended at a conference back in the fall.  The session was about focusing on speaking and listening before doing science lessons.  The presenters had people pose as students and sit in a circle.  While the "teacher" led a conversation about the science topic, someone else drew a circle on a paper and recorded the conversation and questions that happened around the circle by drawing arrows from person to person on the diagram and noting some of the comments and questions.

I don't think I have seen anyone at school using this method of trying out a version of an audience response map.  If you have tried this out, let me know.  I would love to discuss this further.  If you have not done something like this before, I encourage you to figure out a time when you could observe the conversation going on in your class and create your own audience response map.  Maybe when you have everyone sitting around the edge of the rug and they are responding to the student who just shared a piece of writing.  Or maybe your class is at the rug discussing how they solved a particular math problem.  Make a map of where everyone is sitting and take a few minutes to listen to the conversations happening.  Use lines and arrows to show the various connections between students.  It will be great information to just see who is speaking, who is responding, etc.  You will also want to record some quick notes about what is being shared.  Who is applying what you have taught them?  Who clearly has not internalized the concepts?

If you are looking for a new way to informally assess your students and encourage more student-led conversations, try doing some discussion mapping.  Or if you want help doing this, let me know, and I'll come be your recorder for you!

Currently reading:
While shopping at Target this weekend, I discovered a great picture book!  It's called Words and Your Heart.  I know last week my post was about the power of our words.  Well this book is all about the power of our words!  I love the description from the publisher: "A universal message, for a world that always needs a little more kindness."  Feel free to borrow this book from me!

Events this week:
Tuesday - Grade 4 chorus rehearsal @ 10:45
Wednesday - Tyngsborough teachers visiting FloRo to see co-teaching classrooms, Grade 4 school concert @ 1:30
Thursday - Grade 4 evening chorus concert @ 7:00 in the PAC
Friday - Melissa and Liz at SLT @ 8:30-11:00

Great things I noticed last week:

  • 1st graders were working together with Mrs. Gribi to practice making 10 with 8. 
  • I had fun helping more 1st graders choose their #oneword2018! 
  • Mrs. Potter and Ms. Schumaker's class were listening closely to the story Kizzy Ann Stamps; I loved hearing them talk about their thoughts on the different characters in this historical fiction book. 
  • These 3rd graders were proud to come show me their animal research and writing that they had completed.  I learned some new facts about elephants and walruses! 
Check it out:
Check out the latest video post from Jessica Lahey, the author of The Gift of Failure:

No comments:

Post a Comment