Monday, January 1, 2018

Moment #oneword2018

Principal pondering...

It's the start of 2018, and that means it's also time for a new #oneword2018!  You may remember that I have written about the #oneword movement before here and here.  Last year, my word, create, came to me during vacation week.  The same thing seemed to happen this year.  I had been reading other people's posts about the words they were selecting, and I had been making a mental note in my head about possible guiding words for me.  At the same time, I have been listening to an amazing book on Audible - The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact.  I have also been participating in a virtual book talk with teachers and school leaders from across the country who are also reading the book.  I loved this book so much that as soon as I finished listening to it, I promptly ran out to the book store and bought a copy of it so I could reread and highlight so of my favorite parts...and there are lots of favorite parts!

This past week, it became very clear what my #oneword2018 needed to be: MOMENT.  This will be the word to guide me throughout the year.  And now I will use the word moment to explain how I hope to live up to this word in 2018.

M - Meaningful and memorable.  It's meaningful experiences that we remember.  I need to think about how I can create meaningful experiences for students, staff and parents throughout the year.  I also want to think about creating these meaningful experiences for my family, especially my daughter.  Our lives are made up of all kinds of moments.  I want to focus on the meaningful experiences, the moments that will not be forgotten.

O - Observe.  I need to make sure I take time to observe what is going on around me.  Not only do I want to create moments, but I want to observe the moments happening around me.  Don't want to miss anything!  I need to be in the moment.

M - Make it happen! I have the ability to make moments happen, and I need to take every chance I get to create moments.  Here's a direct quote from The Power of Moments book: "Moments matter.  And what an opportunity we miss when we leave them to chance!  Teachers can inspire, caregivers can comfort, service workers can delight, politicians can unite, and managers can motivate.  All it takes is a little bit of insight and forethought."

E - Emotional.  When I am thinking about creating "defining moments," I need to make sure that emotion is part of the mix.  As the book says, these moments look like "a burst of magic--thoughtful, playful, emotional."  What do I hope to do throughout the year?  I want to "defy the forgettable flatness of everyday work and life by creating a few precious moments."

N - Notice.  I hope to notice when and where defining moments are needed, both at school and at home.  I want notice when to create moments.  I want to make moments happen.  What will our students remember about this year?  What will my daughter remember about this year?  I have the ability to create those memorable moments.

T - Time.  I need to take time to live in the moment.  Be in the moment. Enjoy the moment.  Celebrate the moments that will stick with us.  I need to remember to step away from social media and technology to focus on the moments happening in front of me.  I need to take time to step away from work and be in the moment with my family.  So glad I started doing this over the past holiday break!

I am excited about what will happen in 2018.  I am eager to start making moments.  I can't wait to be in the moment and build momentum throughout the year!  What moments will I create this year, and what moments will I look back on and remember at the end of the year?

I encourage all of you to think of one word that will guide you this year.  What will your #oneword2018 be?


Currently reading:
On the first day of my vacation, I learned that my amazing Aunt Jo Ann had suddenly passed away, cancer quickly stole her from us. It seemed timely that I had decided to read the book Ms. Bixby’s Last Day. As I spent the last few hours of 2017 quietly on my couch, and started 2018 finishing the last chapters, one of the final paragraphs stuck with me...
“The truth is—the whole truth is—that it’s not the last day that matters most. It’s the ones in between, the ones you get the chance to look back on. They’re the carnation days. They may not stand out the most at first, but they stay with you the longest.”
And now, on my last day of vacation, I am grateful that I took time this week to create some carnation days, some days that I will someday look back on. While I am sad about the loss of my aunt, I am grateful for so many special moments with family.  I was unable to fly out to Wisconsin for the service this past week, but I did write some words for my father to read.  I referenced this book and how the teacher in the book was labeled as "one of the good ones" which I felt described my aunt as well.  The teacher in the book shares many affirmations about life, and one of them stood out for me and will be how I choose to remember my aunt: "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."  This book was a tough, but timely read for me this week.  Love that it was about three, quirky, awkward 6th grade boys who truly love their teacher.

Events this week:
Monday - Happy New Year! Hope everyone enjoyed the first day of 2018!
Tuesday - Welcome back!
Wednesday - Grade 4 chorus practice @ 2:30, Staff Meeting - Dr. Novak will be presenting, 4th graders doing the pledge @ School Committee Meeting, 7:00 pm
Friday - Elementary half day, 12:15 dismissal

Great things I noticed last week:

  • Kindergarteners were on the hunt for the gingerbread baby!  They found some clues in the office...crumbs to be exact! 

  • Scooter City in gym class was a huge hit!  Students had a chance to check out several different "places" in the city and even do some shopping.  Ms. Kinneen--we love your creativity! 

  • I think the "lettuce" celebrate the holidays was a great day!  Loved all of the salad options to help balance out the holiday sweets. 

1st graders were talking...and dancing...about how to say goodbye.  Sadly, we had to say goodbye to our guidance intern, Amy. 
  • Our last day before the break was a little crazy with the weather and an early release.  But at least we were able to have fun in our jammies and celebrate a play day! 

Check it out:
I have posted this video clip before, but here is Jon Gordon talking about the concept of one word: 
For those staff members that read this whole blog post, and then decide on their one word and email me what it is or send me a picture of you with your word...you just might get a surprise!


No comments:

Post a Comment