Monday, September 27, 2021

Lost and Found

 Principal ponderings...


It's no surprise that I love to read and love to talk about reading.  I am excited that I have several literacy talks coming up during the month of October, including a presentation for the Literacy for All Conference.  During my talks, I often share a quote from the author Alex Gino:


I believe it with my whole soul.  Books really do save lives.  This year, this month, this week...I am thinking there are many educators and students who need books more than ever.  And they don't just need any book.  They need the right book at the right time.  

I love that we get to be part of the "lost and found" affect of books.  Finding the right book so that a kid can get lost in the story...it's the best!  My foster son is a kid who gets lost in books.  For him, books are a calming factor.  His impulsivity, his inability to keep his body still, it all magically goes away as soon as he gets lost in a book.  I wish I could get as lost in a book as he does.  I feel like this year we as adults need to remember to find time for ourselves to get lost in a book.  It's ok to step away from the to do list, from our responsibilities, and just get lost in a book.  And not a professional development book.  Really step away and read a book just for you.


If we get lost in a book, if we encourage our kids to get lost in books, sometimes we will get lucky enough to find ourselves.  Sometimes our students will find themselves in books.  And that's just magical.  Recently, I got to witness the moment when one of our students found themselves in a book I was reading aloud.  As soon as the child realized that the book took place in Vietnam, where her family came from, she lit up and shot her hand in the air to share with the rest of the class her connection to the book.  That moment was awesome, especially since this student is typically very quiet in class.  But it got better.  Her teacher shared with me that the student went home and because she loved the book so much, she got her parents to order the book that night and then she wrote all about it in her Friday letter at school.  One book.  One amazing book did all that for one child.  Those are the moments that we need to be striving for this year.  

COVID and all that comes with it continues to mentally and physically wear us all down.  But books can help.  Books can lift us up.  Books can help us escape.  Books can be a comfort, a security blanket.  Books can wake us up, energize us.  Books can save us.

How will you help your students get lost and found in a book?
Have you scheduled a time for yourself to get lost and found in a book yet?


Currently reading:

I was able to visit my favorite bookstore earlier in the week.  I picked up some new books, including some awesome picture books.  Love the message in the book Be Strong; we must find strength in the unlikely places.  This book is by the author who wrote Be Kind.

I was so excited to get a copy of Amanda Gorman's picture book, Change Sings: A Children's Anthem.  Can't wait to share this one with kids of all ages!

I am in love with the book A Walk in the Words.  This amazing book is for any kid who has been labeled a "reluctant reader" or a "slow reader" or "dyslexic."  Readers can be inspired by the author's own story of struggling with reading, taking his time, learning to love words.  I will be recording a read aloud of this book to share with all of our students. 

Events this week:

Monday - CPI training for some staff members, new dismissal plan starts, Laura at Paxton from 10-1, coverage during extra library for common planning time, 4th grade sharing Curriculum Night videos with families this week

Tuesday - CPI training for some staff members, Chess Club in the library 3:30-4:30, 5th Grade Meet the Teacher 6:00-6:30, 3rd Grade Meet the Teacher 6:30-7:00

Wednesday - Global School Play Day at Mayo!, Half day - dismissal at 12:30, no lunch served, bag lunches available, We will meet in the library at 1:00 for some time together before we split up into grade level teams

Friday - We made it to October!  5th Grade Student Council applications due, PTA Fall Social from 6:00-7:00, STAR assessments 1st-5th should be completed

Great things I noticed last week:

  • I have had fun covering classes in library.  Loved catching these two boys reading with each other. 

  • 5th graders in Mrs. Baird's class working hard during math lesson about decimals. 

Check it out:

I saw this tweet and immediately fell in love with it.  We must not let Mondays take our Sundays!


I am going to try to participate in #TeachWriteober21 where I write in some way every day of the month of October.  Maybe some of you want to join me? https://www.teachwrite.org/teachwritetober


 

No comments:

Post a Comment