Sunday, May 5, 2019

What Can Happen in 6 Weeks?!

Principal ponderings...

6 weeks.  Do you know what can happen in 6 weeks?  I did some research to find out what changes can happen over a 6 week time period.  When a kid breaks a bone, it takes about 6 weeks for the bone to heal itself and fix the break.  I had several broken bones when I was little...may have been just a tad bit of a clutz...and I swear it felt like I had to have a cast on for way longer than 6 weeks.

In 6 weeks time, a tomato seed can grow and change from a tiny seed into a plantable seedling.  Check out this cool time lapse video of tomato plants growing.  Fascinating how a little seed can change so much over a short period time with regular TLC in the form of water and sunlight.

Did you know that by the time a woman is 6 weeks pregnant, the baby growing inside her already has a developed heart that has begun beating at about 110 beats per minute.  That amazing heart is part of a little being that is barely a quarter of an inch long.  And once the baby is born, after 6 short weeks, the baby usually starts smiling and begins to reach out to try to grab things with his or her tiny hands.  

What else can happen in 6 weeks time?  Well, you can fill out an application and then in 6 weeks time you can travel the world because you now have a passport.  Probably might need to spend more than 6 weeks saving money for your travels!

Why am I writing about different changes that can happen in 6 weeks?  Well, we now have 6 weeks of school left.  We have 6 weeks to still do so much work with the students in front of us.  If a tiny seed can change into a flourishing plant in 6 weeks, then we can absolutely transform each and every one of our students in the last 6 weeks of the school year.  With a little TLC from us, our version of watering and providing sunlight to our kids, we can help them grow even more.  Several years ago, I attended a conference and I remember Eric Janson, the keynote speaker, telling us that structural changes in the brain can happen in just 5 days!  Forget 6 weeks.  By the end of this week, if you are smart about your teaching and the interventions that you are putting in place, you can successfully rewire a few brains.  Next Friday, I expect to hear about your brain changing success stories.  I read a post recently where someone said we need to "get neurons firing together to help get them wiring together."  Check out these brain images below.  I am thinking we can bring back an old slogan and redesign it...this is your brain on teaching and intervention:
A lot can happen in 6 weeks.  Don't let countdowns or time ticking down until the last day make you think that you can't accomplish much now.  You can make some major changes in 6 weeks.  We don't want kids checking out early, so that means we can't check out either.  Don't get stuck in the mindset of "I will just wait until next year to try that."  Today is the day.  Carpe every diem.  Take advantage of every teachable moment.  Fire up those neurons.  


What can you do in 6 weeks?

Currently reading:
I was excited to finish listening to Michelle Obama's book Becoming.  It was a very long book, but so good, especially because she was the one reading it.  It felt like she was in the car with me having a conversation!  During the 5K on Saturday, I began listening to Brave, Not Perfect.  I am definitely enjoying this book - all about how girls have been raised to be perfect, but we need to help rewire them and teach them to be brave and take chances and make mistakes. 
I got two new picture books this week.  The first one is called Poetree.  It's a beautiful story of a little girl who loves words and poetry.  She writes a poem for a tree and it seems like the tree writes back to her.  It's a great story celebrating poetry and surprising friendships. 
I also picked up a really funny picture book called We Don't Eat Our Classmates.  This author has written books like one of our family favorites...Be Quiet!  I would love to come read this story to a classroom!
Events this week:
Monday - Girls on the Run @ 3:45
Tuesday - 4th Grade Math MCAS
Wednesday - 2nd grade team meeting, 4th Grade Math MCAS, Girls on the Run @ 3:45
Thursday - Liz G at a Curriculum Meeting at Central office from 7:45-10:00, Raindate for Bus Evacuation
Friday - PAWS Pantry Hat Day!, Liz G half personal day - out of the building in the AM

Great things I noticed last week:

  • 2nd grade had a great enrichment program from the Museum of Science.  I popped into the cafeteria to hear all about states of matter with them. 
  • I was glad that I stopped into 5O just in time for read aloud.  Mrs. Olson was reading Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech and 5th graders were eagerly listening to the story. 
  • 5G managed to catch some nice weather and took advantage of the opportunity to do some MCAS math preparation outside in the fresh air. 
  • On Wellness Wednesday, I joined 3P and tried to tackle the rock wall.  Ms. Shaughnessy mastered it...I still need some more practice. 
  • I loved my surprise book titled "What Does My Principal Do All Day?"  Some many favorite pages, but I love that many 2nd graders think that I read all day long.  I wish I could do that all day! 
  • The Girls on the Run crew did a great job with their practice 5K this week.  Thanks to many staff for coming out and cheering them on.  
  • 4th graders got some great hands on learning at the New England Aquarium on Friday.  Students and staff were excited to share about their trip at the end of the day!  
  • Mayo students, along with some Davis Hill and Dawson students, ran the fun run and the 5K on Saturday afternoon.  Callum and Lyla Hoey were our top finishers!  While Alex Leith made sure to keep everyone company at the front of the 5K, I made sure that the runners/walkers at the end of the group were not alone! 

Check it out:
Check out this great article by Jessica Leahy, the author who wrote The Gift of Failure.  Love this quote in it: “It is literally neurobiologically impossible to think deeply about things that you don’t care about.”  To help our students learn, we need to make sure we are engaging the emotions:
 https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/04/to-help-students-learn-engage-the-emotions/?fbclid=IwAR1D7a52G3R5Q9--nVU83dZYYp2fzWMTcLX8nnwGxo8b6yMHzaNk39POuvY
I hope to share more info with you about writing and to give you some resources to look at over the summer that focus on writing instruction.  Here is a short post about letting kids play with writing: https://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2018/08/01/young-students-love-writing-play.html

No comments:

Post a Comment