Monday, March 18, 2019

Learning on the Go

Principal ponderings...

If you know me, you know I am slightly obsessed with learning.  I am always reading, connecting with other educators, seeking out new educational opportunities, or attending workshops and conferences.  Of course, if you know me, then you know I also have just a few things going on in my life.  I can tell you I am certainly never bored!

Because my days are always packed full with my professional responsibilities and my personal responsibilities, I love finding different ways to learn.  Have you heard of podcasts?  Do you know what they are?  Have you ever listened to any podcasts?  Have any favorites?

Let me tell you a little about what a podcast is.  The word podcast basically came from combining lPod with broadcasting.  Podcasts are usually audio files, but could be video files, that you can download and listen to.  They can vary in length, but typically they aren't too long.  People make podcasts about anything.  In fact, my brother and his wife created a podcast last past year called "Here's and Idea" where they talk about random things and occasionally come up with an idea for something that has not been done.  If you really want to listen to their ramblings, check this podcast out.

There are several different podcasts related to education that you might be interested in.  Here are few for you to check out:
Cult of Pedagogy
Ten Minute Teacher
School Psyched
ASCD Learn Teach Lead Radio
The Google Tribe
The Spark Creativity Teacher Podcast
Truth For Teachers
TedTalks Education
The Creative Classroom

Ok, I could go on and on with listing podcasts.  You can basically find a podcast for any topic.  Maybe you have already discovered some good podcasts?  Share with us if you have some to recommend.  When the weather gets a little nicer, I would love to do a walking staff meeting where we all listen and learn from a podcast and share with each other.  What do you think?


What will you learn this week?

Currently reading:
In anticipation of Gordon Korman coming in another week, I have been listening to his book Ungifted.  I have only just begun to listen to this book, but in Gordon Korman fashion, there are several interesting characters and we hear different perspectives in each chapter.
I saw someone recommend the book Brave, Not Perfect online so of course I used one of my Audible credits to download it to my library.  The author is the founder of the organization Girls Who Code.  Excited to read this book that talks about how we are raising boys to be brave, but we are raising girls to be perfect...and this dilemma is holding us back.
Events this week:
Monday - 1st grade F&P training @ Glenwood, Girls on the Run @ 3:45, School Council Meeting @ 4:00
Tuesday - Spring Pictures, Grade 5 Team Meeting @ 8:00, Kindergarten training @ Glenwood, K-2 ELL Science Club @ 3:25, PTA Meeting @ 7:00
Wednesday - Grade 3 Team Meeting @ 8:00, Grade 5 Mountview Orientation Day, 3-5 ELL Science Club @ 3:25, Girls on the Run @ 3:45
Thursday - Liz @ PLT Meeting Central Office 7:45-10:00

Great things I noticed last week:

  • So fun to see all of the students shopping at the Scholastic Book Fair! So many good choices.
  • I popped in and saw 2nd graders learning several different ways to solve subtraction problems with one of our student teachers. 
  • It's amazing the looks you get when you walk around the school in a dinosaur costume!  
  • On Friday, I had fun presenting with Melissa Wallace, the Dawson principal, at the MASSCue MASCD Leadership Conference in Worcester. And I heard an amazing keynote speaker, Julie Wilson, talk about the human side of changing education.  I will be sharing my learning with you in a future post. 
Check it out:
A very long article, but one full of tips and tricks for your iPhone to help you be more productive: https://betterhumans.coach.me/how-to-set-up-your-iphone-for-productivity-focus-and-your-own-longevity-bb27a68cc3d8
Love this article about how a principal's brain is affected throughout the day.  Even though it might be on a different level, I think teachers have the same things happening for them each day: https://schoolleadersnow.weareteachers.com/principal-day-affects-brain/

No comments:

Post a Comment