Sunday, June 3, 2018

Beach, Blankets, BBQ, and...Books!

Principal ponderings...

Only a few weeks left before summer vacation and that means it's time to think about summer reading!  Have you started to make a list of the books that you want to dive into this summer?  Of course, I have several professional development books, several kids books, and several just for fun that I want to read.

Here's the newest professional development book that I can't wait to purchase and read cover to cover:
This book is written by Todd Nesloney, one of the authors of Kids Deserve It, and Travis Crowder, who is a middle school ELA teacher.  This book looks amazing!  Can't wait to read stories of sparking a love of literacy!

Another professional development book that I hope to read this summer is Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers by Ruth Ayres.  This book merges the idea of the power of writing with the idea of reaching students who have dealt with trauma in any form.  Talk about a powerful combination!

For fun and a little bit of professional development as well, I would like to read Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World.  Love the concept behind this book...reimagining women in leadership roles.
As far as new picture books go, I can't wait for Josh Funk's new books...yes, he has several coming out.  And I also can't wait for Cynthia Lord's new books! (unfortunately I think we all have to wait until 2019 for her two new books!) One of Josh's newest books is the third one in the Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast series...Mission Defrostable.  I am sure it will be just as good as the first two! 
There are several good MCBA books on next year's list.  One of the books that I hope to read this summer is All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook.  

Need some more ideas for your summer reading?
Check out some of these lists...
https://educationcloset.com/2018/05/01/2018-teacher-summer-reading-list/

So what does your summer reading list look like?  Have any books to recommend to me?  Can't wait to put my toes in the sand and my nose in a book!

Currently reading:
I am still enjoying listening to Hillbilly Elegy on my drive to work.  I have also enjoyed reading the advanced copy of Balance Like a Pirate.  I am getting excited to be part of a summer book study about the book What School Could Be.  I am just getting start reading it, and the discussion will start in a few weeks!

Events this week:
Tuesday - 4th grade library trip, Liz @ Crisis Team Meeting, Prescott - 1:00-3:00
Wednesday - 4th grade library trip, final staff meeting @ 3:30
Thursday - 4th grade Enviroscape Enrichment program
Friday - Liz and Melissa at SLT from 8:30-11:00, Brian O'Donoghue visits FloRo for the afternoon

Great things I noticed last week:

  • The 3rd graders put on an awesome concert, both during the school day for peers and at night for parents. 
  • I had two amazing principals for the day on Thursday.  Check out this link for pictures from the day: https://gopro.com/v/oLaDE1Xw7ydO
  • I did a few read alouds in some 3rd and 4th grade classrooms.  Before I read to Mrs. Guernsey's students, I listened to some of them recite their poems they had practiced. 
  • While I did not get any pictures, I did have so much fun meeting the future of FloRo at kindergarten screening.  Thanks to Stasia we were able to do screening at the PTYC.  I met lots of siblings and several new families as well.
  • Check out this future architect in Mrs. Spiczka's room! 
  • 2nd graders having some word work fun with Boggle! 

Check it out:
Check out Travis Crowder's recent post: A Reason to Read: https://www.teachermantrav.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment