Sunday, April 29, 2018

Would You Rather, The Education Version

Principal pondering...
I am sure many of you have either heard of or played your own version of the game "Would You Rather?"  I have had a few questions swirling around in my head lately so I thought I would write them out and see what you think of them.  Or maybe it will make you think of your own education related questions as well.

Would you rather spend the next 10 years teaching a class of 45 students knowing that you could have any supplies, tools, technology, resource, basically whatever you needed?
OR
Would you rather know that every class you taught was going to have less than 20 students, but you would not be able to add any supplies, tools, technology, resource to what you currently have?

Not sure which one of these I would pick.  Have a giant class, but all the stuff I could think of?  Sounds tempting.  But then again to always know that I had less than 20 students...do I really need all of the stuff?

Would you rather spend the rest of your time teaching?
OR
Would you rather spend the rest of your time learning?

I think the educator I was several years ago would say that I would rather spend my time teaching.  I did really love teaching.  But I am older, and I would like to think a little wiser now.  And now I would much rather spend the rest of my time learning.  Now, I know that teaching, true teaching, is all about learning.  I want to be constantly learning, and I want to see staff and students constantly learning.  I can teach, but not learn anything.  But when I am learning and modeling learning, then I am also teaching.  (Pretty deep, right?!)

Would you rather have a salary similar to Tom Brady, but never be allowed to collaborate with any other educators ever again?
OR
Would you rather keep your current salary, but have unlimited access to any educator in the world and be able to collaborate with as many different people as you want every single day?

We all know that we certainly never got into education for the money.  And while a salary with that many zeros in it is definitely tempting, I would argue that being able to collaborate with superstar educators from all over the world would be even better compensation.  Call me crazy, but there is just something awesome about being able to benefit from working with like-minded colleagues.

So those are just a few "would you rather" questions that had popped into my head.  I shared my thoughts, but how would you answer the above questions?  Can you come up with your own for this education round of "would you rather?"  I'd love to ponder some of your questions.  Share some in the comments or simply strike up a conversation with another educator.


Currently reading:
I started listening to a new book on Audible.  I am enjoying Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.  He tells the story of his childhood and growing up in South Africa.   Trevor Noah is the one reading the book on Audible...love listening to his accent!  And so far, it's a sad but interesting story.


Events this week:
Groton Fire Dept Safe House at school all week
Monday - 4th grade ELA MCAS
Tuesday - School Council Meeting @ 8:00, All School Assembly in the PAC @ 2:30
Wednesday - K and 1st grade have Eric Carle enrichment program, Dr. Chesson attending staff meeting @ 3:30, 4th graders recite the pledge @ School Committee Mtg @ 7:00
Thursday - K and 1st grade have Eric Carle enrichment program, Liz out of the building for MSAA board meeting
Friday - Liz and Melissa at SLT from 8:30-11:00, Elementary half day, 12:15 dismissal, all teachers meeting at FR for math focus

Great things I noticed last week:

  • Mrs. Gribi's class became construction workers and the classroom became a work zone the other day while they were building and deconstructing compound words! 
  • I had tons of fun with all of the 1st graders at their field trip to the Ecotarium in Worcester!  We learned about different animals, took a trip through the solar system in the planetarium, and even felt what hurricane force winds feel like! 
  • Be sure and check out the bulletin board leading to the 4th grade wing.  Mrs. Potter and Ms. Schumaker had their students write some great poems about growing up and some of the changes that have happened over the years. 
  • Saturday was a fun day where FloRo took over Fenway Park!  The Red Sox may have lost, but we all had so much fun at the game with our families!  Thank you PTA for organizing this event! 
Check it out:
Check out this post about starting each day with student-centered choices: https://twowritingteachers.org/2018/04/25/write-at-the-start-no-more-morning-worksheets/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Have you heard this new song by Jason Mraz?  Definitely an inspirational song that I have a feeling will be used in many end of the year videos and graduations!


No comments:

Post a Comment