Monday, April 9, 2018

Let's Learn From Each Other!

Principal ponderings...
I know that the end of the year race is starting to kick into high gear, but there is still plenty of time to learn something new!  I would love to highlight some of you in these posts so that everyone can see that we have a lot of built in professional development within our school walls.  If you have been doing something that you want to share, let me know!  Or I may approach you and ask you if I can share your awesomeness with everyone else!

Today, I want to share some helpful videos/links that Audra, our digital learning coach, has shared with me.  She has created some screencasts and tips for different tech related things.

Here is a screencast video of how to use the arrange tools to align text boxes and create columns: https://www.useloom.com/share/1d67f58775cc4afea6be594de443516a

Here is a screencast video of how to use the find feature to search for keywords on a website: https://www.useloom.com/share/26b61a590389460a830131df4a45655b

Here is a screencast video of how to use the advanced image search to filter your results.  Exclude copyrighted works or include specific images only, e.g. clipart, transparent backgrounds, etc.: https://www.useloom.com/share/da1858d36efa4b768cf5594630df879a

And one more for now!  Here is a screencast video of how to create hyperlinks within an existing Google Slide for table of contents or as you wish:  https://www.useloom.com/share/573252dc1fee4b64a20ac7ca0c96dee7

Have fun learning something new and let me know what you want to share with your colleagues!


Currently reading:
As usual, I have quite a few books going at once.  Looking forward to the vacation week where I hope to spend a chunk of time reading.  I know several of you took books from our book tasting event.  Are you enjoying the book that you selected?  A great new picture book that I read was called It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk.  Josh Funk, a local author, put out another great book!  In the book Jack and the other characters end up having a dialogue with the narrator where they argue about why certain parts of the book are happening.  I think kids will be laughing out loud with this book!
A friend of mine just released a book called Hacking Early Learning.  Jessica Cabeen is a principal of an all K building in Minnesota, but we have connected through social media and met up at conferences.  She sent me her manuscript online and asked me to read and review it on Amazon.  I started to dive into it this weekend; it's good common sense about our youngest learners.  I'm glad someone finally wrote this book! b
I am so excited that this book arrived in my Amazon box Saturday morning!  You know my love of books and libraries...so I couldn't wait to get my hands on It's All About the Books: How to Create Bookrooms and Classroom Libraries that Inspire Readers.  Tons of great pictures, ideas, book lists, and resources in this book! 
Events this week:
The PTA will be celebrating all of you this week for Teacher Appreciation Week!  Enjoy the goodies in the staff room throughout the week!
Monday - Liz and staff at MRA Conference, PTA Meeting in the cafeteria to discuss principal search with Dr. Chesson @ 6:00
Tuesday- Liz and staff at MRA Conference
Wednesday- 3rd grade chorus @ 2:20, Grade 4 presentation about canoe trip in the PAC from 1:30-3:00, Elementary Curriculum Committee Meeting from 3:30-5:00
Friday- Enjoy your Spring Break!

Great things I noticed last week:

  • Caught this reader really into his book! 
  • I received some amazing persuasive letters from Mts. Potter's class including this gem: 
  • You might have seen me walking around with this lady.  Her name is Courtney Jones and she is a principal of an elementary school in VA.  We have been connected through Voxer and the Moms As Principals group.  Small world...her father lives in Groton and they were up visiting so she surprised me and came to see FloRo! 
  • When I took Courtney around, we happened to walk into this K lesson about how to make a pizza!  Complete with Mrs. Taylor's awesome pizza hat! 
  • These young ladies were so proud of their writing.  I had them come in and interrupt a meeting to share.  They had collaborated and written a book on how to make a fairy house. 
  • Caught these 3rd graders all diving into their reading...if you squint you can imagine them all at the beach reading in their chairs! 
  • I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Leading the Nation event at the State House on Thursday.  I witnessed the swearing in of the new Commissioner of Education for MA, Jeff Riley. 

Check it out:
Here is a quick video from Saturday's Science Showcase! https://quik.gopro.com/v/2f6gQSnuuc/

1 comment: