Monday, February 26, 2018

Do You Have the Write Stuff?

Principal ponderings...
Did you know that March is coming at the end of the week?!  We are more than halfway done with the school year, and it always feels like time speeds up during this part of the school year.  I am excited that March is going to be all about literacy at Florence Roche.  We begin the month with National Read Across America Day and Dr. Seuss's birthday.  We will have a Seuss-inspired spirit day.  On March 8, we will have Community Reader Day.  The student council is helping me plan a read-a-thon where we will donate money to an organization related to literacy and books for kids.  We are also planning a family literacy night, and then at the end of the month we will have the Scholastic Book Fair here!

March also means it's time for the Slice of Life Challenge.  You may remember that I wrote about this last year.  This is a challenge that I completed last year, and I plan on tackling it again this year.  The goal is to write a slice of life story every day during the month of March.  That's 31 little snippets of your life.  I surprised myself last year and wrote everyday.  I also provided comments and feedback to other people's posts.  During the break, I went back and read every post I wrote last March.  I am so glad that I have those stories written down and enjoyed reading and remembering.

So what do you say?  Do you have the 'write' stuff?  Will you make a commitment to write every day during the month of March?  You can create a blog to do your writing on or you can simply do it for yourself and write in a journal.  Read more about the challenge here:  https://twowritingteachers.org/2018/01/22/11thsolsc/

We all want to be the best teachers we can be for our students.  And to be a good writing teacher, you need to actually write.  You need to practice writing.  You need to write so that you have writing to share with your students.  You need to write so you can reflect on your teaching or simply reflect on life like I did in a lot of my posts last year.  You need to write so that you can get your thoughts out, so that you can have written memories to go back to and reread and remember.  I know as educators, we all have a lot to say, considering all that has happened in our country over the past few weeks.  This is the perfect time to share your voices, share your opinions through your writing.  Write so that others can read and agree or write just for yourself so that you can make sense of your thoughts.  No matter the reason, just write.

Here's the link to the blog where I will post my daily writing.  And if you want to read what I wrote last year, feel free: http://readerandleader.blogspot.com/

This blog post was just posted yesterday, and I felt it was perfect to share with you as we talk about writing and the power of our words: https://medium.com/personal-growth/how-to-write-from-the-heart-youve-got-the-words-to-change-a-nation-cc4bf2632256

Who is ready to take the challenge with me and write through the month of March?


Currently reading:
I had fun doing lots of reading over the break and even managed a visit to my favorite bookstore.  I have been having fun reading this new picture book at bedtime:
This is a cute story about a little dog named Emerson who tries very hard to control his bark.  My Emerson loves reading about a doggie who shares her name!  I also enjoyed reading this YA book about a girl loses her mother to cancer and then spends a summer in Florence, Italy with someone who may or may not be her father.  
I also had an Amazon box arrive at my house this week...you know what that means!  More books!  Here's a new professional development book that I started reading.  I am in a Voxer book study, talking about this book with educators from across the country. 

Events this week:
Monday - Welcome back!
Tuesday - Liz attending district Crisis Team Meeting @ Prescott 1:00
Wednesday - Grade 1 chorus practice @ 2:20, Chucky Cheese Night, PTA fundraiser from 3:00-8:00
Thursday - Kindergarten Orientation Night @ 6:30
Friday - National Read Across America Day and Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss!  Spirit Day - wear anything Seuss related!  Half day, 12:15 dismissal, no lunch served

Great things I noticed last week:

  • Loved seeing staff come together to work on our book puzzle!  I will be gluing this one together and framing it.  Thanks to all who helped, and a big thank you to Deb R. for making a new piece to replace the missing piece. 
  • I enjoyed stopping in and listening to this 3rd grade class as they did a reader's theater version of a really great non fiction picture book.  Jill...I can't remember the name of the book!  I need to add it to my library!  
  • The 2nd grade concert was awesome!  Thanks to the 4th graders who also performed.  And of course, Mr. Wiesner...once again, another enjoyable concert! 
  • Saw some great informative writing displayed in the 3rd grade hallway. 
  • Did anyone get a chance to hang out in the gym before break? I certainly did!  Wow, Ms. Kinneen...the Olympic themed activities you set up were amazing.  I tried my hand at the FloRo biathlon, scooter skiing, and curling! I think I need to practice more before I can be a medal contender. 
  • Loved seeing the 1st and kindergarten voting for favorite picture books.  Be on the lookout...we might just be doing a March Madness book version in the front lobby this month! 
  • Thank you Melissa for helping us have fun with feedback and dessert tasting!

Check it out:
In case you missed this at our staff meeting before the break, here is a video of our students sharing what they love about their teachers and their classrooms.  Thank you Audra for helping with this little project!

1 comment: