Monday, November 8, 2021

It's Worth It

 Principal ponderings...


This weekend I pulled out one of my It's Worth It boxes.  Many of you have one of these from a few years ago.  The poem posted above is on the inside of the lid.  And in the box I store cards, notes, post its...all sorts of words of inspiration, appreciation, gratitude.  Normally I simply pull the box down, add some cards and notes to the box and then put it away.  

This weekend I took the time to pull out the notes and cards and post it notes.  I sat and read what students, parents, staff, colleagues have shared with me over the years.  I needed a boost. I needed something to lift me up, help me take a breath, take a minute, and get back to the work I need to do.  


If you have your box in your classroom, I recommend that you take it out and give yourself some time to read what's in it.  On those days when you are thinking 'I am through,' and there are many of those days I know...let the notes and cards help you push through.  And if you don't have a box, take some time to start one.  I have been a school leader for 14 years now.  I have several boxes.  I am so glad that I have saved all those words of gratitude and appreciation.  Filled with paper, the boxes are so light, but actually those boxes are full of strength.  


We all need to be carried sometimes.  We all need reminders that it's worth it.  We all need to remember what we have already accomplished and what we are working towards.  Let this simple box, a few words on a paper, a picture drawn by a child, let all these things lift you up and remind you of your why.

During this month where we tend to focus on gratitude, be grateful that students and parents and colleagues have recognized your hard work and have appreciated you.  Be grateful that you have a job where you make a difference in kids' and families' lives everyday.  

Speaking of gratitude...a friend shared this challenge with me and I thought it was something I wanted to share with all of you.  I know we are already into the month, but here's a word prompt for each day.  And you can read more about it here: https://positivelypresent.com/2021/10/the-11th-annual-gratitude-challenge.html  I personally love that the first prompt is 'words.'  Clearly, those of you that know me know that words of affirmation is my love language.  It's why I love the concept of an 'It's Worth It' Box!  

Take some time to read words of affirmation from in your box or maybe from somewhere else.  Or take some time to write some words of affirmation for yourself or for someone else.  I promise you it will be worth it.  


Currently reading:

I enjoyed reading Green Lantern Legacy this weekend.  Can't wait to recommend it to one of our readers. 

I am looking forward to a book group discussion this week about Can We Talk About Race?  The chapter I listened to this weekend was especially interesting...all about connecting the dots starting with how psychologists began measuring IQ. 

Events this week:

Monday - Liz out, Vision and Hearing Screening in the office, 

Tuesday - Vision and Hearing Screening in the office, Chess Club after school in the library, STEM Club after school in the art room

Wednesday - Staff Meeting @ 8:00am in the library, 1st grade parent conferences, Vision and Hearing Screening in the office, Report Cards available in PowerSchool

Thursday - Veterans Day, No School

** Monday, Nov. 15 - Last Day of Feed Your Read Campaign

Great things I noticed last week:

  • It was a beautiful day for our Literacy Parade!  Thank you for all of your support.   I think everyone, adults and kids, had a great experience. 
     

  • Math partner games in 3rd grade! 

  • Kindergarten friends creating and building! 

Check it out:

Thought this might be helpful with the recent time change ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment