Monday, June 7, 2021

Amplify, Sunset, and Create

 Principal ponderings...

I am in that in between phase right now.  Reflecting back on this past year (wondering how we got through it!) and then beginning to think and plan for next year.  It's a tough, overwhelming, tiring place to be.  But it's also an important place to be.  There is a part of me that loves being able to think about what we accomplished during the year and get excited about all the possibilities of next year.

I needed an energy boost last week and I got one in the form of a planning session that several Mayo staff attended with me.  I don't drink those 5 hour energy drinks, but I imagine they have the effect that this planning session had on me.  I started the call feeling worn down, exhausted, and two hours later, I was energized and pumped up about what the future holds.  

One of the activities we did was called Amplify, Sunset, Create.  It's a way of reflecting and planning.  Similar to when we have done something like Grows (areas we need to improve) and Glows (things we are proud of).  For this task, we need to think about what from the last year we actually, surprisingly liked and maybe want to amplify for next year.  Then think about things that we should sunset and be done with.  These could be activities from before the pandemic that we really should stop doing.  Or it could be things that we had to do during the pandemic, but should not do next year. (Pretty sure I can think of one word that starts with R and rhymes with boat!?) And then what are things that we need to create?  What are we not doing that we need to start doing?

I have placed chart paper by the mailboxes with some sticky notes.  If you think of anything under the three headings of AMPLIFY, SUNSET, or CREATE, jot it down and add it to a chart.  Or email me your thoughts or when you see me and you have something to share, let's have a conversation about it.  I would also love to know what students might say when asked these questions.  You could try this reflection activity in your classroom.  It could be about just your classroom or it could be about school-wide topics as well.

I am excited for another 5 hour energy boost this Wednesday with other Mayo team members.  We want to bring some of this feedback to our meeting Wednesday.  But I will continue collecting and gathering info after Wednesday.  I also plan to survey the parents.  Here are some of the team members who would also be happy to hear from you: Maura McSweeney, Liz Hilton, Kristin Baird, Kate White, Julie Rondinelli, and Laura Ramos. 

 











Currently reading:

I loaded up and added to my to be read pile thanks to the book fair!  I can't wait until I can get to summer mode which means summer reading.  I read one of the new graphic novels this weekend; it's called Camp. It was a quick read that is perfect for students getting ready for summer activities...the main characters learn that they can still be friends even if they have different interests and are making new friends.


Another awesome picture book I got from the book fair is called A Bike Like Sergio's.  It's about a boy who learns an important lesson about money and honesty and doing the right thing.

Events this week:

Monday - 5th Grade Math MCAS

Tuesday - 5th Grade Science MCAS

Wednesday - 3rd grade remote ELA MCAS, make-up MCAS

 Thursday - 5th Grade Nature's Classroom Day!

Check it out:

I listen to lots of podcasts, especially a new one that my friend, Dr. Christopher Jones, has recently started recording.  It's called SEEing to Lead.  He interviews educators to talk about how to empower and engage educators.  Our very own Kate White chatted with Chris and you can listen to their conversation here.

Laurie Coe is another podcast lover.  She always shares great episodes with me, like this one with Oprah Winfrey called "The Give"

No comments:

Post a Comment