Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Spring Cleaning

 Principal Ponderings...

It's that time of year for spring cleaning.  Especially after a year of being mostly in our homes, everyone is ready to deep clean the whole house.  It's also time for us to do some spring cleaning in our curriculum house.  What do I mean?  Well this year has forced us to do things a little differently.  We have not been able to cover everything we normally cover.  We have had to prioritize and re-organize.  Before we prepare for next year, we need to look back at our lessons, our activities, our classrooms, our curriculum.  

What needs to go?  Some things were tossed out automatically because of the different way of teaching and learning this year.  Maybe some needs to stay gone?  Maybe some things that we tried that did not work should be tossed?  Maybe some things need to be recycled and used in a different way next year?

Do we need to dust some things off that sat on our teaching shelves this year?  Was there a lesson or an activity that you didn't get to use or implement that you really feel you should have done this year?  Just make sure it's really necessary to pull it off the shelf and dust it off.  I am not a fan of unnecessary dusting. ;)

How can we scrub and clean our curriculum?  Maybe we need to purchase some new materials to replenish and refresh?  Sometimes having something that's shiny and new helps reinvigorate me.  Will it be new supplies?  Will it be a new professional development book?  Will it be a new curriculum plan?  What do you think will reinvigorate you?

How about organization?  This was the year of Marie Kondo-ing your classroom and your curriculum plans.  Simple.  Clutter free.  Only teaching what was absolutely necessary.  Will you keep that type of organization for next year?  Will you slowly add some items back but in an organized fashion?  Maybe you need to make three piles...a keep pile, a toss pile, and a donate to a peer pile?

I know we still have several weeks left of this (fill in the blank) year.  But it's time to start spring cleaning.  It's an exhausting and overwhelming task, but I promise you will feel better after you've done it.

What will you do for spring cleaning?

Currently reading:

I was so excited to get a new book in the mail last week!  My good friend, Don Vu, is a principal out in CA who took the past two years "off" to be a dad and write a book.  He is a fellow reading lover like me.  Love his book called Life, Literacy and the Pursuit of Happiness.  I ordered a copy for our amazing Liz Hilton, but if anyone is interested, I will loan mine out when I am done.


I also started listening to Alex Trebek's book...was always a huge Jeopardy fan.  It was a family event to watch that show each night.  Fun fact...I once tried out for Jeopardy...came very close to being on the show!

Events this week:

Monday - PD Day for staff, No School for students

Tuesday - 5th Grade presentation on social media safety with Ellen Miller 2:00-3:00

Wednesday - Half day, CST meeting @ 8:00am, Liz in a PLT meeting from 1:30-3:00

Thursday - CST meeting @ 8:00 am

Check it out:

I was recently interviewed for a principal podcast with NAESP.  You certainly hear me enough, but if you want to listen to more of me...here you go! 

I was proud of the thank you note that my daughter wrote for her teacher.  Like her mama, she knows how hard teachers are working.  Thank you!  You are making a difference and people notice.  I appreciate you!



No comments:

Post a Comment