Monday, January 6, 2020

A Temporary Stop

Principal ponderings...

Some of the definitions of the word 'pause' are "a temporary stop" or "to linger for a time."  It's that time of year when I choose my One Word for 2020, or when my One Word chooses me.  I was doing lots of word searching over the break, but the one word that kept popping into my head was 'pause.'  When I start telling people about the different things I do both at work and outside of work, I think...that's a lot Liz.  And usually that's what the person listening to me says!  I need to build in more pauses in my life.  Emerson's recent 5th birthday followed by me signing her up for the kindergarten lottery definitely hit me hard.  Time is going by way too fast.  I need to build in more pauses in my life. 

My One Word for 2020 is PAUSE.


The day I decided on my word was after a fun day of family time and then Emerson fell asleep on me, similar to what she used to do all the time as a baby...
My favorite pause moments

For someone who tends to live life with the fast forward button continually pressed (at least that's what it often feels like), this word will be a challenge for me.  But I know pausing will make me a better leader, a better mom, a better friend, a better daughter, a better wife.  Pausing will be good for me.

**I started this post during break.  Today, I am adding to it because apparently when I put the word pause out into the Universe, the Universe responded in a big way, forcing me to physically pause.  Sunday morning I was up early to do my daily walk.  I was excited that it was not snowing.  I bundled up, started listening to a book on Audible and walked out the door ready to have some quiet walking time.  The sidewalks in the neighborhood next to mine have not been plowed, so I have been walking on the street the past few days.  I was listening to the book when all of a sudden my feet flew out beneath me and I landed, hard, on the road.  I must have put my right arm down first to try to stop my fall.  When I realized what had happened, I was sitting up on a sheet of black ice, in a lot of pain.  I managed to get myself up, but could tell I was about to faint so I put my head between my knees and breathed.   When I thought about pause for a word, this was not the temporary stop I was imagining.  I knew I needed to get myself home and wake up my husband.  I don't really remember how I dragged myself home in so much pain, tears streaming down my face.  I thought for sure something inside me was broken.  After a long trip to Urgent Care and x-rays, I was sent home with thankfully no broken bones, a bandaged arm, pain meds, a donut to sit on (oh yes, that is fun...can't wait for all the pain in the bleep jokes!) and a bruised ego. 

So now, I am home on the couch with a lot of time to pause.  Touché Universe.

Hoping to be back in tomorrow, albeit a little slow moving.  For now, I have the best nurse in the world, my husband, taking care of me.  And he is managing to fit in some jokes along the way.  Hurts to laugh, but I need to laugh.

For those of you who weren't here last year or don't remember about the One Word concept, here is my post from last year. My One Word that I tried to live by was heart.

I love that I found this song called "Pause" that goes perfectly with my 2020 One Word:
As he sings in the song, I don't know where the 2020 road will take me but I know I need to take it slow, I don't want to miss the moments, and I am okay with hitting the pause button every now and then.

What will your One Word be for 2020?

Currently reading:
I always love having more time to read over the break.  I was asked to read two advanced copies of books, one that is not published yet and one that is coming out tomorrow.  I read a middle grade book called Hallow's School for the Dead, Book 1.  This reminds me a little bit of a Harry Potter type book and the action and adventure with the kids in the story definitely kept me turning the pages.  Not sure when it will be published, but the author is hoping to write several books in this series.  The other book that I am reading is called Lead with Faith, written by a friend of mine named Sarah Johnson. 
Over the break, I picked up a book that I could not put down and practically read it in one sitting.  It's called Chasing King's Killer.  It tells the story of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination and then the manhunt to find James Earl Ray.  I think that some of our 5th graders who are into history would be interested in reading this book.  I once visited the Lorraine Motel which is now the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, TN.  It was an emotional experience to see the balcony where King was shot.
And I am listening to an emotional memoir, Salt in my Soul: An Unfinished Life.  This is about Mallory Smith, a young woman who died from cystic fibrosis.  She kept a journal that she started writing when she was in middle school and kept adding to into college.  Her mother published her journal after her death. 

Events this week:
Monday - Motoko visits with 5th grade
Tuesday - Patty out of the building at a training, Fit Club Gr 3-5 @ 8:00
Wednesday - Staff meeting @ 8:00, Motoko visits with 5th grade, Bus 50 meeting in the cafeteria @ 9:00
Thursday - Fit Club Gr 3-5 @ 8:00, Liz @ PLT Meeting at central office, Liz @ meeting w/Commissioner
Friday - Bus 56 meeting in the cafeteria @ 9:00

Great things I noticed last week:
It was a short two day week, but it was great to jump back into the routine!

  • Over the break, I created a new front lobby display.  I can't wait to see students make book recommendations and then maybe get their book added to our fireplace mantel! 

  • 3rd grade came back and enjoyed a weather enrichment program from The Discovery Museum on Thursday. 
  • I popped into chat with some 5th graders while they were playing decimal BINGO! 
  • Loved seeing Mrs. McSweeney's students playing and learning.  These boys told me they were "filling containers to capacity!" 
Check it out:
To go along with my one word, pause, I am trying to do this 100 days of notebooking challenge.  Check it out and join in if you want: http://www.michellehaseltine.com/100daysofnotebooking/how-will-100daysofnotebooking-work

If you have 10 minutes, check out this speech about othering and belonging and equitable inclusion: https://vimeo.com/user18761855/review/338475832/d7ad3ae0f2

And to make you laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment