Monday, December 9, 2019

It's a Beautiful Day in the Mayo Neighborhood...

Principal ponderings...
After seeing the new movie about Mr. Rogers over the Thanksgiving Break and all the posts and stories about Mr. Rogers recently, I was inspired to share some of his wisdom in this space.  I did also experiment after reading this post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/11/27/what-happened-when-i-showed-vintage-mister-rogers-my-st-century-kids/
I pulled up an episode, one of my favorites, and watched part of it with my daughter.  It was the one where we learned how crayons were made.  She was fascinated and I was brought back to my childhood in an instant.  I can't help but agree with the many writers who have shared how Mr. Rogers simple, calm demeanor and his willingness to talk about tough topics with kids (and adults), is maybe what we need more of today. 

Here are a few of his nuggets that I hope to use with our students and my own children...






What did you learn from Mr. Rogers?

Currently reading:
I am still working on Other Words For Home and My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry.  I also spent time reading the latest Life Magazine edition focused on Mr. Rogers. By the way, did you see our new magazine rack in the library?  Thanks to donations from parents we will soon have lots of magazines for our students to look through during library time.

Events this week:
Monday - National Christmas Card Day!  Write a note for a colleague!  Motoko, writer in residence visiting 5th grade, 9:30-10:45 - Gr 3-5 concert rehearsal in the gym, 1:45-2:45 - K-2 concert rehearsal in the gym, School Council Meeting @ 4:00
Tuesday - Extra time...no email from Liz today! Gr 1 & 2 Fit Club @ 8:00am
Wednesday - Hot cocoa, coffee, and candy canes!
Thursday - Holiday Party after school at the Hurley House! Gr 1 & 2 Fit Club @ 8:00am, Optional Staff Wellness Check from 8-11 in Deb Bixby's room, Winter Concert for School @ 2:00
Friday - Hugs and Kisses Day! Winter Concert Gr 3-5 for parents at 10:00, Winter Concert K-2 for parents @ 2:00

Great things I noticed last week:

  • You will see Motoko in our building over the next month.  She is a Japanese storyteller who is also our writer in residence, working with 5th graders to write folktales.  Loved listening to her meet with the whole grade and do some storytelling and then loved the question she discussed with each class. 

  • When this is the view from your office window and you have already had two snow days and it starts snowing more on a Friday afternoon...aaaggghh! 
  • But you have to love the smiling faces that were happening during recess after all of the snow! 

  • I loved listening in on your stories during Friday's staff meeting.  Hope you got some great "gift cards!" 

Check it out:

My cousin shared this post with me and I just love it.  I have not read all of them, but enjoyed skimming through these positive news images from 2019: https://www.boredpanda.com/positive-news-2019-illustrations-mauro-gatti/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

No comments:

Post a Comment