Monday, November 18, 2019

The View From the Rug

Principal Ponderings...

The other day I had the chance to be a 3rd grader.  I spent the whole day traveling in and out of the different classrooms, eating lunch in the cafeteria, playing outside on the playground, singing (out of tune) in music, and basically seeing the whole school day from the students' perspective. 

I have done shadow a student days before and have learned so much.  While my day in 3rd grade was a little different since I wasn't just following one student around, I still learned so much about the kinds of learning experiences that we create for our kids.

Here's what I learned:
1. Our teachers strive to create a welcoming experience in classrooms.  In several rooms, I had a space created for me to sit at.  Some rooms I even had my own nameplate!  And there were supplies for me to use.  This welcoming mentality spilled over to students.  They would offer me a pencil or would tell me where I could find what I needed.  In one class, during independent reading time, a student offered me a book if I didn't have one.  (Of course, you know I brought my own book to read!)

2. Our teachers find and capitalize on teachable moments throughout the day.  I joined in during a morning meeting on the rug.  As we were going over the schedule, the students were curious about how I would get into each classroom so the teacher turned that discussion into some authentic math discussions about elapsed time and division.  And the students quickly figured out how much time I needed to spend in each classroom! 

3. Our teachers think about how best to start and end the day with students.  Loved that our 3rd graders were able to start their day with "good morning bins."  My desk group had a container filled with Scrabble tiles.  We were able to build words or use them like dominoes or make a design...whatever we wanted.  Other groups had mini cubes.  Another group had a container of Legos.  It was such a great way to start the school day!  And then I finished my day in another classroom where the teacher had promised the students that after they did some of their social studies work, they would come together for a quick game.  We all gathered on the rug and just a quick round or two of "Doggie Doggie Where's Your Bone."  After a long day of packing lots into the day, it was nice to have few minutes together as a community, to laugh, interact, and get ready to transition home.

4. Our teachers give our students independent reading time and time to write.  In several rooms, I happened to be in the room either during independent reading time where students had their special places all over the room to read from their book bags or book bins.  And the classroom teacher was able to work one on one with a student or with a small group.  I was also in several rooms during writing time where again the students were given time to work on their writing while the teacher worked with one student or a few students.  During both of those times, the students were really into their books and really into their writing.  I was able to read a few chapters in the book I was reading and was able to write a piece that I have been working on.

5. Our students in the upper grades are still learning through play.  When I was outside on the playground, I was quickly brought into a game of store where there were shoppers, people selling, people organizing the items (lots of different acorn creations), people gathering the items, people advertising, etc.  Students found the job that appealed to them the most and quickly got into character.  There was problem solving happening.  There was some money discussion.  There was some creativity in terms of the different creations.  I was designated as a "gatherer."  This game took up most of recess and involved several different students.  We need to remember that there is so much learning that happens through play!

There were lots of other things that I learned during my day in 3rd grade, but I am just choosing to share these 5 for now.  I know it might be uncomfortable at first for teachers, but I really love getting the student perspective for a day.  I am thinking in December I will plan to be a 1st grader for the day!

Currently reading:
I am still working my way through Words on Fire by Jennifer Nielsen. 
I have also pulled out the book I shared with some people last year to reread some different sections: Welcome to Writing Workshop.  I especially love that this book has tons of links to short video clips to see writing teachers in action.  Been going back and watching several that I never watched.
I have also been reading the different UDL links and watching the video clips that our presenter, Laura Taylor, shared with us when she came on the PD day.  She shared the information with me and I will share it with everyone since I know 3rd-5th was not with us.

Events this week:
Monday - School Council Meeting @ 4:00
Tuesday - Gr 1 & 2 Fit Club @ 8:00am, Claytime Fundraiser 6:30-8:30pm
Wednesday - K-3 Writing Grant Team at Regional Literacy Meeting, Patty to Team Chair Meeting 8:30-10:30
Thursday - Gr 1 & 2 Fit Club @ 8:00am, Wendy O'Leary visiting K classes
Friday - Wendy O'Leary visiting 1st grade classrooms

Great things I noticed last week:

  • Popped into Mrs. Baird's science class as students were learning about the earth rotating around the sun while actually rotating around their paper suns. 
  • I listened in with 2T as they read a non fiction book and discussed text features. 
  • I listened to 4th graders practice several songs and work on their recorder playing skills. 
  • 2nd graders impressed me with their small moment stories...lots of details and zooming in on one moment in time. 
  • This 4th grade book club group was having an engaging conversation and acting out some of the new vocabulary. 
  • Bingo Night was tons of fun on Friday night!  Lots of lucky winners and some new names drawn to be Principal for the Day.  I also had fun trying out my new toy...a prize wheel! 

Check it out:
Was reading an article about student engagement and loved this quote that was in it...
Came across this post with 9 free resources related to UDL: https://blog.brookespublishing.com/9-free-udl-resources-every-teacher-should-know-about/
And someone shared this video clip with me about Patagonia, just wanted to share it with you, a company doing good for the environment:

No comments:

Post a Comment