Monday, October 28, 2019

A Letter of Gratitude

Principal Ponderings...

Dear Teachers,

Thank you.  Two simple words that can mean so much, both for the person speaking them or writing them and for the person hearing them or reading them.  But they are two simple words that I don't think I say enough to you.  I was showered with treats, gifts, cards, and kind words the other day during Boss's Day.  Of course, I need to thank you for making me feel special on that day.  I certainly don't need to be given things, but the thoughts behind it was what I appreciate.  I also know that we will soon enter the month of November, a time where everyone thinks even more about giving thanks.  I could write this letter and save it for the end of November.

But this thank you letter is not for those special occasions.  I want to thank you for everything else.  That's a lot to thank you for!  Don't worry, I will try to keep this thank you letter short and to the point.  It is true that I feel like I need to thank teachers for everything they do.  Thank you for getting to know each of your students.  Thank you for being brave and trying new ideas.  Thank you for stepping up whenever the school needs you.  Thank you being sensitive to the needs of students and colleagues.  Thank you also for having thick skin.  Thank you for connecting with your students, your families, and each other.  And thank you for taking time to connect with me!

Thank you for thinking about your students long after they have left for the day.  Thank you for brainstorming with colleagues before school.  Thank you for spending your own money on other people's children.  Thank you for making your classrooms inviting and engaging and safe.  Thank you for challenging all of your students.  Thank you for making mistakes and growing.  And thank you for celebrating the learning that happens when students make mistakes and grow.  Thank you for reading to your students.  Thank you for giving your students time to read and time to write.  Thank you for encouraging them to wonder and question.  Thank you for questioning and pushing back when you don't agree with something.  Thank you for being big thinkers and helping create big thinkers.  Our world needs more big thinkers.

There's so many more thank yous that need to be said and written and shared.  We all need to remind ourselves to practice gratitude more.  Let's not wait until certain events or special days.  Let's be thankful and grateful on all the other days.  Is there someone right now that you need to thank?  Tell them.  They probably need to hear it.

Thank you for being you.  The picture book that I read this weekend (Remarkably YOU) had so many great lines and golden nuggets in it, but I had a few that I wanted to share in my thank you letter...









 






































Thank you for all you do for our students, our families, and our school.

Sincerely,
Your Grateful Principal

Currently reading:
Trying not to get overwhelmed by my extremely tall "to be read" pile!  So many good books and never enough time to read them all.  The first book that I read this weekend was a picture book that I have had for a while and just never read.  It's by the same author who did my recent favorite When You are Brave.  This one is called Remarkably YOU.  It would be a great book to read to any kid and then talk about how each child is unique and has something special to share with the world.
And if you want a pre-recorded read aloud of it, here you go!
I loved reading Jennifer Neilson's book Resistance last year.  I just got her newest book at the Book Fair and am enjoying the start of Words on Fire.
I was excited to get a new professional development book in the mail.  It's called Principals in Action: Redefining the Role and it's written by three friends of mine: Mark French, Jay Posick and Ryan Sheehy.  They are all principals in other states.  I love this book because it's all about how many of us across the country are trying to break the typical principal mold and be leaders who are out of our office more than we are in it.  I was pleasantly surprised to find my name mentioned in one of the chapters...does it come as a surprise that it was in the chapter about reading?!

Events this week:
Monday - Gr 1 & 2 EL Creative Writing/Tech Club @ 3:30
Tuesday - Fit Club @ 8am, Spell-a-Thon pledge money due
Wednesday - Liz out of the building at a workshop, Term 1 grades close, Gr 3-5 EL Creative Writing/Tech Club @ 3:30, Greater Boston Reading Council Conference 4:00-6:30, Mayo teachers can attend for free, see Liz for details
Thursday - Fit Club @ 8am, Literacy Parade @ 2:15!
Friday -  New Director of SPED Parent Info session @ 10:00 in the library, Financial Advisor available in the library from 11:30-1:30, Raindate for Literacy Parade @ 2:15

Great things I noticed last week:

  • When I popped into 2K, I saw them finishing up an author study about Kevin Henkes, charting physical traits and character traits. 
  • Loved getting an invite to 4B (Miss Dee) for their book tasting!  Reservations, a roaring fire projected on the board, and lots of delicious books to enjoy!  My kind of place.  
  • 3W was concentrating on some suffix word work.  Those ending changes are tricky! 
  • 3D was a taking a close look at a non fiction book about Wampanoags and discussing some of the text features. 
  • I loved co-teaching the EL Creative Writing Club after school with Liz Hilton!  Anyone wants to co-teach a writing lesson with me, let me know.  Would love to collaborate! 
  • 4G and 4S hosted a read and create event Friday afternoon where students worked together to build a bridge.  Thanks to many parents for coming and supporting this engaging activity! 

Check it out:
I can't remember if I ever shared this with you, but it's worth a reshare.  It's a great post for teachers that was written back in August.  I love the message to "be extra." https://teachlikeeveryoneislistening.wordpress.com/2019/08/11/teaching-is-relentless-be-extra/?fbclid=IwAR0qeQifPXnC4AsdBAEsYkO1X4j-cuX8R_J7_z7GGvbtvNdd4wC0FPDAXF4

No comments:

Post a Comment