Sunday, September 15, 2019

Out There in the Twitterverse

Principal Ponderings...
There is a whole big world out there.  Sometimes we get so caught up in our space, our town, our school, our own classrooms, that we forget there are other spaces, other towns, other schools, other classrooms.  There is someone else teaching math at this very moment, just like you are.  Or maybe not like you at all.  There is someone else reading and conferring with a quiet student, just like you are.  Or maybe not like you at all.  There is someone struggling to connect with a new student, just like you.  Or maybe not like you at all.  There is someone reading this blog post, just like you.  Or maybe they have never read my blog or a blog at all. (What?! Hurry up and share this with someone else!)

The education world is a big one, and it used to be one where everyone went about their teaching and learning in isolation.  But that is not the case anymore.  One change that has helped to make the education world just a little bit smaller is Twitter.  Some of you have Twitter accounts already.  I want to encourage you to get a Twitter account if you don't have one.  You don't even need to tweet anything out....yet.  But having a Twitter account and beginning to explore the world of Twitter is going to open you up to an amazing world of education that is happening outside of your classroom, your school, your town, your state.  
I love that I can go to Twitter and find all kinds of new learning, new things happening in schools, new ideas, new inspiration.  As I am writing this post, I popped onto my Twitter feed and here is just a sample of what I discovered...
And then I go back to writing this post and switch back to Twitter to find this amazing movement.  Teachers everywhere are posting Amazon wishlists with the hashtag #clearthelist and people are buying supplies and books and whatever teachers are asking for.  If you are not on Twitter, you are missing out on this great do good movement happening!

I am working to try to get some outside PD and consulting for our school, but in the meantime, Twitter is an unbelievable, free, 24/7, warehouse of awesomeness inside your computer...just waiting for you to discover it and explore and learn.  And possible make this vast education world a little smaller.  Or maybe Twitter is actually going to help bring down the walls in our classrooms and our school.  Use Twitter to get ideas.  Use Twitter to get inspired.  Use Twitter to get connected.  Use Twitter to grow as a teacher and a learner.

Here is a post that just popped up on my Twitter feed from Clare Landrigan, a literacy consultant who I am trying to bring to Mayo to help us with our discussions about student writing.  For now, we can all learn from her for free on Twitter:

Will you step out of your comfort zone and try something new?  What will you discover with Twitter?  Have you created an account?  There's a whole new education world out there. 

What are you waiting for?

Currently reading:
I just finished listening to an amazing book called The Night Diary.  It's a historical fiction book that takes place during the time when Pakistan was forming, and families were forced to either leave Pakistan to go to the new India or leave India to travel to Pakistan.  The story is told through letters written by a young girl who has to make the scary journey to "new India."  She writes the letters to her mother who died when the girl was born.  I have a slight obsession right now for books that have kids using writing to make changes or tell a story.
I am reading a graphic novel that is part of a series.  I previously read Invisible Emmie, now I am reading Positively Izzy.  It's another book about navigating middle school and navigating the social dynamics of school.  This one centers around a talent show.
I am on my third re-read of Brave, Not Perfect.  This book is really that good and so important to be reading and discussing with your female friends, kids, daughters, mothers.  I am part of a book study with other female leaders with this book, excited to talk to more people about it.

Events this week:
Monday - Liz meeting @HPD at 8:00, ECC teacher observing in K classrooms @ 9:00, Grade 1 and 2 EL Creative Writing/Tech Club @ 3:30 in the library, Facebook Live Bedtime Story @ 7:00pm
Tuesday - PTA Meeting @ 7:00 in the library
Wednesday - School Picture Day! Patty Hurley out of the building for jury duty, PTA coffee chat @ 9:30 in the cafeteria, Grade 3-5 EL Creative Writing/Tech Club @ 3:30 in the library, PTA Exec Board meeting @ 7:00 in the library
Thursday - Liz at Curriculum Meeting, Central Office from 7:45-10:30, Senior Pen Pal Meet and Greet in the cafeteria @ 2:00
Friday - Library Committee Meeting @ 3:30

Great things I noticed last week:

  • Several classes did all sorts of fun activities for Dot Day.  2K shared these images with me:



  • Check out the recess fun happening during 5th grade:

      • Peter Reynolds did a Facebook Live video where he read his book The Dot and talked about creating bravely and making your mark.  And then he said hi to Mrs. Brennan's 1st grade class and said that one of the places joining in around the country was Holden, MA!  If you did not get a chance to watch his video here you go!
      • I have been reading to several classes.  Had the chance to read a story in all of the 5th grade classrooms and all of the 2nd grade classrooms.  Working my way through 3rd grade and 4th grade this week.  Here's a selfie I took after reading to 2T! 
      • Loved the awesome shirts that 3rd grade wore on Friday...
      Check it out:
      I forgot to share this photo with people as we were talking about Dot Day.  Every year I try to run/walk in this event: https://www.dmsesports.com/events/6th-annual-middlemiss-big-heart-5k . Hoping I can participate again this year.  I love to dress up in some sort of super hero related outfit and either run/walk by myself or bring Emerson.  I think this photo was from last year or the year before...can't remember!  But my friend who puts this race on called me over and asked me if I wanted to meet and chat with Peter Reynolds...yes! If you are looking for a great 5K for a great cause, check out this event coming up in a few weeks!
      I can't remember if I shared this Ted Talk with you, but this is the author of the book Brave, Not Perfect:



      No comments:

      Post a Comment