Sunday, June 9, 2019

The Best Summer Assignment Ever!


Principal ponderings...
Several years ago, I discovered this Italian professor's summer assignment list.  Now those are assignments that I definitely support!  Reading his list, made me think back to several summers ago (pre-husband and pre-kid) when I spent my summer in Florence, Italy.  I signed myself up for a creativity workshop in one of the most creative and beautiful places in the world.  The workshop was amazing, and everyday we would spend time doing activities that stretched our thinking and got those creative juices flowing.  We would end our workshop session in time for a relaxing lunch together, and the afternoon would be left for exploring and completing our assignments.  Our assignments were often things like: go sit in a cafe for at least an hour and watch the people that come and go.  Sketch a picture of someone or write a description of them.  I have to say it was one of the most inspiring, relaxing times of my life.

So when I read this list from this Italian professor, it took me back to those wonderful days, and it reminded me that I can give myself some of those assignments from my workshop or add some from his list.  Of course, I love that he says read as much as you can because "it's the best form of rebellion you have."  And you know that I will be reading as much as I can over the summer.  Hope you get a chance to as well!  I love the idea of sitting and watching the sunrise and just being thankful in that moment.  And whether you are alone in your kitchen, at a wedding or having dinner out with friends...think about dancing shamelessly.  I guarantee you will feel better afterwards.

After reflecting and hearing and reading about "glows" and "grows" with all of you last week, it is evident that you have all worked incredibly hard this year.  You have been dedicated to helping our students be successful.  You have tried out new curriculum, planned lessons and reviewed assessments until your eyes hurt.  You have planned, implemented, redesigned and reimplemented behavior plans to help students learn how to be their best.  You have pushed your students and each other.  Always striving for growth.  But what was also evident after last week...you...ok we...all need to rest, relax, and rejuvenate this summer.  You need this assignment list!  We all need this assignment.

Read over the assignment list a few times.  Think about which assignments you will do this summer.  Add some of your own for extra credit! 

And be sure to...
"In sparkling sunlight or hot summer nights, dream about how your life could and should be. During the summer, always do everything you can to avoid giving up, and everything you can to pursue your dream."

What is on your summer assignment list for yourself?


Currently reading:
Saturday morning is our special day to go to the library.  Can't wait to have my kids be part of the library's summer reading program this year!  Emerson loves going to the library and then enjoys reading her book choices either in the car or at bedtime.  Saturday night's choice was a book about sign language and the ABCs and Sunday night's choice was a book about Independence Day. (We seem to be on a non fiction kick!)  I will be putting together a last week of school parent update with a focus on summer reading.  I will be sharing lots of resources for summer reading and encouraging families to make trips to the library a part of their summer routine.  This week I checked out a beautiful book called My Heart by Corinna Luyken.  It is a simple read, but has a lovely, important message about love and self-acceptance.  And the illustrations throughout the book are wonderful! 
I also checked out a great book called Alphabreaths: The ABCs of Mindful Breathing.  This is a great book for kids to practice calm breathing with so many great ideas like "hugging breath" and "ninja breath."  I am excited to be meeting with Wendy O'Leary after school gets out to discuss planning to bring her to Mayo next year to talk about mindfulness and her new book called Breathing Makes It Better.  
And another book that I got from the library is called George, about a 4th grade boy who truly feels like he is a girl.  I had heard of this book and was excited to see it in the library on display with several other children's books about dealing with gender questioning and gender identity.  I love the back of the book where it says simply: "Be who you are."  

Events this week:
We made it!!  Last week of school!
Monday - Selectman Anthony Renzoni visits 3rd grade, Facebook Live Bedtime Story with Principal Garden @ 7:30pm
Wednesday - Grade 5 Program for the school @ 2:15
Thursday - Grade 5 Program for parents @ 10:30, End of the Year Staff Gathering @ 4:00
Friday - Move Up Activity @ 9:15, Whole School Assembly @ 9:55, Dismissal at 12:20, Staff Luncheon in the library provided by the Wiemer Family, "Staff Meeting" in the front circle at 12:30

Great things I noticed last week:
It was quite a week last week!  Field trips, enrichment programs, fun activities, author parties, book swap, wax museum, field day...  Here's just a small sample of everything awesome that happened at Mayo last week:

  • 1st graders loved hearing all about birds of prey and getting an up close meeting with many of them! 
  • 5th graders were very interested in hearing all about Dr. Mayo's life from his grandson, Roy Lane. 
  • Who says you can't have fun with flashlights and practice your math skills?!  Mrs. Leroy's class had a fun with flashlights day in their class. 
  • 4th graders in 4V were eagerly writing down book titles for their summer reading lists after listening to lots of book talks in the library from our amazing library volunteer Pat McEachen. 
  • I was lucky enough to walk by in time to join in as the AM kindergarten class released their butterflies! 
  • The 3rd grade Wax Museum was amazing!  So many famous people from MA!  I wish I could have pressed every single button. 

  • Our first Book Swap was a huge hit!  I loved being Oprah and telling kids that they could pick books for free!  I wish I had a video of the cheering that happened!  
      • Field day was so much fun!  A big thank you to Mr. Wilde and all of the parent volunteers.  So glad we had perfect weather! 


      • And in an appropriate ending to a jam packed week...I was dunked in freezing cold water about a hundred times! Thanks to the PTA for organizing a fun pizza social.
      Check it out:
      More book swap fun...


      No comments:

      Post a Comment