Monday, November 19, 2018

Grateful for a Plate-full

Principal ponderings...
With Thanksgiving this week, full plates are certainly on my mind.  I love hosting the family at our house, and every year we end up with so much food.  We are able to fill plates and leftover containers, and I am certainly grateful for that.  But this time of year, I also think about the full plates that we have at school.  As an educator, we have so many things that we are responsible for, so many little faces that we need to answer to, so many tasks that we need to complete.  In fact, I often have this image of myself trying to keep all of the full plates (there are definitely many full plates in my life) balanced and spinning...
Slight problem with that image...first of all, heels?!  Second, doubtful that I am wearing a dress and no way my hair looks perfectly styled.  But the plates...yes, those are definitely there, overflowing and spinning, sometimes in all different directions.  But I am actually grateful for all of those plates.  We all have a lot going on in our lives.  We all keep our plates full.  As educators, we keep those full plates spinning and spinning.  And this time of year, it's important that we stop and appreciate those full plates.  We have so much responsibility as educators; we have all these little humans counting on us and all of the parents of the little humans counting on us.  It can be overwhelming to think about all of that responsibility, but I choose to be grateful for it and to let it inspire me and fuel my fire to keep at it.  To borrow from a favorite little blue fish character...I am going to choose to just keep spinning, just keep spinning.

I love this video that I came across where the father in the family recognizes that we have so much to be grateful for, so many gifts that are a part of our lives every day. 


I am truly grateful for my plate-full life.  

How about you?  What are you grateful for?



Currently reading:
I always love reading Patricia MacLachlan's books and this weekend I read her short chapter book titled The Poet's Dog.  It's a touching story about dealing with loss and finding love and connections.  The story takes place during a winter storm and involves a dog and two children.  I love that there is some poetry mixed in, and I also love the idea that only poets and children can hear dogs speaking.
I also reread some Thanksgiving books to try to select the one that I will read Monday night.  Here are some great turkey day books... Now to decide which one to do for my bedtime story read aloud?!

Events this week:
Monday - Bedtime Story at 7:00pm with Principal Garden
Tuesday -  Grade 5 team meeting @ 8:00 am, PTA Claytime Event in Cafeteria at 5:30pm
Wednesday - Thanksgiving Break, no school
Thursday - Happy Thanksgiving!  No School
Friday - Thanksgiving Break, no school

Great things I noticed last week:
Short week and I was out sick for part of it, but caught a few things...

  • Thank you for all of the food donations that came in during the week! 
  • Caught some 5th graders working together and talking about the book Hatchet
  • Managed to make it to a 3rd grade gym class...playing different versions of ball game. 

Check it out:
A good friend who I respect and appreciate wrote this amazing post that I wanted to share with all of you: https://leadlikeapirate.net/exhausted-educator-i-see-you/
And I came across this gem of a post the other day: https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/do-something/
So I just discovered this awesomeness...astronauts reading in space?! https://www.huffpost.com/entry/story-time-from-space_n_5acf73f0e4b0d70f012ecff0

No comments:

Post a Comment