Monday, March 19, 2018

So Much To Read, So Little Time

Principal ponderings...

Normally, I spend time writing my own blog post.  Sometimes I get an idea and I start adding to it throughout the week.  Other times, inspiration might not hit me until Sunday night.  But besides writing blog posts, I also spend a lot of time reading other posts.  There are so many educators who are blogging across the globe.  And I love learning something new or having my ideas and beliefs challenged by these people that I have often never met.  Instead of doing a lot of writing this week, I want to share with you just a handful of the posts that I have read recently.  Read one or read all of them.  Enjoy!

I have been doing the March Slice of Life Challenge and besides writing my own slice each day, you are encouraged to read other posts and comment on them.  Here is one post that I enjoyed about the importance of being a teacher writer: http://www.teachersforteachers.net/?p=15924

Do you know the writer David Sedaris?  Here is a post where he was interviewed and shared his advice for the writing process: http://www.openculture.com/2017/06/david-sedaris-breaks-down-his-writing-process.html

Love this post written by a high school teacher who spent a day teaching 4th grade!  He share his important discovery: good teaching strategies are universal, no matter the age or grade: https://teachdangerously.wordpress.com/2018/03/16/teaching-elementary-is-well-you-know-2/

Wow, Travis Crowder's post about how powerful books can be is amazing! https://teacherman2016.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/arm-me-with-books/

I love Laura Robb's post about our hunt for the "magic bullet" where she asks what is it that will help increase reading achievement scores?  Her answer...books!  And here she lists 15 reasons why kids deserve the best books: https://therobbreviewblog.com/uncategorized/quest/

Here is an interesting post by a Twitter friend of mine.  She talks about how for some students spring break can make them anxious: https://www.edutopia.org/discussion/how-i-spent-my-holiday-break

Thanks to Maureen for sharing these two articles through Twitter.  The first one talks about taking a more play-based approach in the early grades: http://www.wbur.org/edify/2018/02/16/early-education-reforms. And the second one is an interesting post about what how skills like ability to collaborate with others are more important in the work force than occupation-specific skills: http://michiganfuture.org/01/2018/google-finds-stem-skills-arent-the-most-important-skills/

And one more...this post was written by...me!  Here is a short article I wrote for Principal magazine about mindfulness in schools: https://www.naesp.org/principal-marchapril-2018-urban-suburban-rural-frontier/wellness-mindfulness-sometimes-our-brains-ne

These are just a few of the posts that I read recently.  Have you read some good posts?  Have you been inspired to write your own posts?  Blogging is a great way to reflect, share ideas, or simply decompress and get the thoughts in your head out!  Check out others' writing and start contributing your own words!

Currently reading:
So this pretty awesome friend of mine, Dianna Fulreader, gifted me with...more books!  I guess she knows me well.  One of the books she gave me is called This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel. Even though I am reading a few other books right now, I jumped right into this one.  Looks like it's going to be a good one; a quote from the back of the book "a beautiful novel about the unexpected curveballs of parent and sibling relationships and the limitless boundaries of family love."
Dianna also gave me this great picture book: Of Thee I Sing: A Letter To My Daughters by Barack Obama.  I can't believe I didn't own this book yet!  It is a truly beautiful book, one that I can't wait to read to my daughter. 

Events this week:
Monday - Liz and Melissa at a Women in Leadership Conference, Read-a-thon officially starts!
Tuesday - 1st grade chorus practice from 11:30-1:00, Liz and Luke at a K-12 science meeting from 2:30-4:00
Wednesday - 1st grade school show from 9:30-10:05, Staff meeting at 3:30 in the cafeteria
Thursday - 1st grade chorus concert @ 7:00
Friday - Liz and Melissa at SLT meeting from 8:30-11:00, Book Fair being delivered and set up

Great things I noticed last week:

  • K students managed to squeeze in their animals in winter enrichment program even with 2 snow days! 
  • Caught a 2nd grader utilizing digital-blocks to help him solve some math problems. 

  • Mr. Smith was talking with students about character development and making some predictions about the read aloud.

  • Students were doing some science experimenting in MskerSpace. 
  • Community Reader day was a success! https://quik.gopro.com/v/oI6sPd2vwt/
  • And all of the students did an amazing job this weekend in Shrek! 

Check it out:
I think I probably gave you enough material to check out in my post above!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this amazing post and trick, keep continue writing these amazing tricky informative blog.

    ReplyDelete