Monday, November 6, 2017

A Picture Book is Worth a Thousand Words!

Principal ponderings...
You know how the saying goes?  A picture book is worth a thousand words!  Ok, maybe it's supposed to be a picture is worth a thousand words, but November is Picture Book Month so I figured the saying needed an update!  

Picture Book Month is an international literacy initiative.  It's a month to celebrate print picture books.  I feel like there is nothing quite like being able to turn the pages of a beautiful picture book, reading aloud to a classroom of students, and sharing an awesome story with kids and adults.

In honor of Picture Book Month, here are some great picture books from 2017.  Have you read these?  Do you own any of these books?  I'm thinking I need to add some to my Amazon cart!

This is the sequel to Josh Funk's awesome book, Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast.  The characters in the fridge need to solve a smelly mystery.

This is a book about overcoming your fears where a little boy prepares to jump off of the diving board.  Luckily, he has his patient daddy there to support him.

I have this book in my office.  The title certainly reminds me of lots of family trips! This is quite an inventive book that you even have to turn upside down to read a few pages.  

Here's a great poetry picture book all about the different seasons.

This non fiction picture book makes me hungry!  It's the story of Hanson Gregory, the guy who basically invented the donut.

Hopefully you will use Picture Book Month to share some new picture books with your students, whether they are kindergarteners or 4th graders. Everyone loves a good picture book!

Currently reading:
I am still enjoying reading The War I Finally Won.  I need to finish it since I know many 4th graders are reading the MCBA books The War That Saved My Life and will want to read the sequel.  I also want to reread the book Wonder.  Such an amazing book, and I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out!  If you have not read it yet...what are you waiting for?
I am also reading a new professional development book and writing a review for Principal magazine.  Looking forward to this book: When Writers Drive the Workshop: Honoring Young Voices and Bold Choices. 

Events this week:
Tuesday - School Council Meeting @ 8:00 am, 4th grade Lowell Mills field trip
Wednesday - 4th grade Lowell Mills field trip
Thursday - Half day of school, 12:15 dismissal, no lunch served, evening parent conferences
Friday - Veterans Day, No School

Great things I noticed last week:

  • I had fun subbing for Mrs. Nissi while she was in a meeting.  The 4th graders were choosing different ways to read and write about the Industrial Revolution.  Can't wait to hear how their trip to Lowell Mills goes this week! 
  • I enjoyed taking a walk with everyone for our staff meeting.  Thanks to Officer Mead for reviewing safety evacuation plans.  I also enjoyed walking through classrooms to notice and wonder about the different environments. 
  • We filled another SPARK Wall of Fame last week!  Do you know we have had over 800 positive office visits?!  We got some new spirit sticks in for backpacks.  Can't wait to see more students demonstrating SPARK behavior. 
  • On Thursday, I took 5 teachers to visit Ruggles Lane School in Barre and meet with their teachers to talk about WINN - What I Need Now - Block.  They were also able to ask us about Eureka since they are piloting that program.  Can't wait to visit other schools and continue to bring back new learning for teachers!  Ruggles Lane will be visiting us the week after Thanksgiving to observe our math instruction. 

Check it out:
Here is a site dedicated to picture book month: http://picturebookmonth.com/
And here is a teacher resource download for picture book month: http://picturebookmonth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Picture-Book-MonthTeachers-Guide.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment