Monday, March 27, 2017

Inspiration from my Edu-Hero!

Principal ponderings...
This past week, I had the chance to see one of my edu-heroes speak at the MESPA Conference.  This was a conference where elementary principals from across the state had a chance to come together and learn from each other.  I am on the Board at MESPA and helped to organize the conference.  I was so excited when we were able to schedule Todd Nesloney to come and give the keynote.  Todd is a principal of an elementary school in Texas, and he is also one of the co-authors of the book Kids Deserve It.  I wish I could share everything he said to us with all of you, but I definitely don't remember everything word for word.  I am pasting in some of the tweets that I wrote and others as he was speaking.  I literally could not type fast enough, and there were moments when I was tearing up because his message is so important - we have to do everything we can for every kid and make sure that we are connecting to each of them.

You can read through some of these tweets or you can go directly to the chat page and read everyone's posts from the conference: #MESPAchat
This video is a must see for educators we must provide authentic experiences for children https://t.co/Y8kue6IaIc #mespachat #kidsdeserveit
— Julie Vincentsen (@jvincentsen) March 23, 2017


I could add so many more, but this is enough for now.  Hopefully some of the comments will make you think and maybe you will want to go to the link and read more!  If you want to borrow a copy of the book Kids Deserve It, I have a few!  It's a quick read, but important read.

Currently reading:
At the conference I just attended, they were having a used book sale.  I might have picked up a few books or maybe actually a whole box of books!  I am excited that I got a copy of Fish! This is a quick read all about bringing energy, passion and joy into the workplace everyday.
And I also picked up the book Fish! Tales which is real life stories about people using the Fish! philosophy. 
Events this week:
Groton FD Safe House all week during gym classes. 
Monday - Make sure all report card info has been inputted into SchoolBrains
Tuesday - Report cards available to parents in the afternoon
Wednesday - NRWA Presentation in Kindergarten, SPED teacher PD with Kelly and Karen - 9:00-12:00, 3rd grade chorus @ 2:25, Liz and Zoann at JFK Library for writing workshop
Thursday - 2nd grade field trip to the New England Aquarium
Friday - Liz and Dianna at SLT from 8:30-10:30

Great things I noticed last week:
  • Ms. Kinneen hosted parents all week in gym class and there was lots of jumping! 
  • On Thursday evening, the 1st graders entertained us with their singing and poetry reciting. 
  • I caught some of Ms. Hoke's and Ms. Johnson's students diving into books during independent reading time. 
  • Thanks to everyone for donating food for our community drive!  Loaves and Fishes was grateful for the donations! 
  • While I never got a chance to pop in and see them in action, Mr. Smith's class had fun doing their math stations this week. 

Check it out:
Check out this blog post by Peter Reynolds about his book about ADHD...correction...book about Amazing, Delightful, Happy Dreamerhttps://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/you-have-a-gift-not-a-label-by-peter-h-reynolds/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an incredible speaker who gave you many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete