Monday, June 2, 2014

Remembering Maya

Principal ponderings...
I was truly saddened to learn that Maya Angelou had passed away last Wednesday.  Maya Angelou was an amazing woman.  I feel so honored that I was able to hear her speak recently at the Hanover Theater.  One reason why I love her is because of her way with words so in honor of her, here are some of her words to remember her by:
This is one that I have often displayed on my desk!







And here are the last few lines of the poem that Maya wrote for Bill Clinton's Inauguration...

"The horizon leans forward,
Offering you space to place new steps of change.
Here, on the pulse of this fine day
You may have the courage
To look up and out upon me, the
Rock, the River, the Tree, your country.

No less to Midas than the mendicant.

No less to you now than the mastodon then.

Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes, into
Your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning."

Hopefully Maya Angelou's words have inspired you to go have an awesome first week of June!

Currently reading:
Since learning of Maya Angelou's passing, I pulled out some of her books that I have and started reading through them again.


Events this week:
Monday - MS AP talking to 4th graders at 1:20 in the cafeteria, Smith & Crowley Williams Barn trip
Tuesday - Crowley and Smith will be piloting the PARCC math assessment at 9:30, Guernsey & Fournier Williams Barn trip, 3 Sisters Garden experience Smith (1:00) & Crowley (1:40)
Wednesday - Crowley and Smith will be piloting the PARCC math assessment at 9:30, Snow Williams Barn trip, Kindergarten chorus practice, final staff meeting of the year!
Thursday - 1/2 day of school, 3 Sisters Garden experience Guernsey (9:30), Fournier (10:10), and Snow (10:50)
Friday - Kindergarten chorus practice, FloRo retirement party @ Groton Country Club!

Great things I noticed last week:

  • The paraprofessionals were treated to a lovely luncheon.  When I stopped by it seemed like everyone was enjoying the food and the company!
  • The 3rd grade concert was truly a magical experience.  The students sang like many of our other concerts, but they did so much more than that.  Students performed songs on the recorder that they had composed.  One student added a verse to the song "What Can One Little Person Do."  We started the show with a very special piano performance by one of our students.  One student wrote a song and performed it with several other 3rd graders.  And yes, I was sitting in the front row crying!  Wonderful concert Mr. Wiesner!

  • And thankfully we managed to get our walk-a-thon in on a beautiful, sunny morning!  It looked like the kids and teachers had a great time walking the track and learning about the history of Groton.  We raised over $4,000 for the Blood Farm Employee Assistance Fund...way to go!

  • Check out the awesome thank you cards that students made for the PTA.  They are hanging on the bulletin board in the front lobby.  Here is one done by one of our 4th graders...she is quite the artist!
  • And on Friday night I attended our GDRHS graduation ceremony.  I saw many of our staff members children receive their diplomas.  Listening to the valedictorian speak, I couldn't help but wonder...will that be one our FloRo students one day?!

Check it out:
I love the idea of summer book chats.  Can't wait until I have more time to read from my giant 'to be read' pile!  Here is a link to someone who is organizing a summer book chat with educators through twitter: http://classroomcollective.tumblr.com/post/83943378954/summer-book-chat.  I am thinking I might have to join!

A great article about the importance of reading!
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/opinion/bruni-read-kids-read.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment